http://themighty.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/200x.png

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Blog Series Guest Post: Struggling

Author: Michelle LeCavalier

Bio:  I am a 45 yr old mental health advocate.  I am a suicide attempt survivor and have suffered from depression, PTSD and anxiety most of my life.  Fighting to end the stigmas associated with mental health issues and suicide and sharing my story.

Hi. My name is Michelle. I have struggled with major depression since childhood. I am now 45yrs old and have been through numerous drug trials, some good, some horrendous. 

I have attempted suicide and still struggle with suicidal ideation. May is mental health awareness month. For this I am focusing on much needed self care and self advocacy. 

I have not been stable enough for some time. My body does not do well with major medication changes. I have been putting off the inevitable in fear of the change, withdrawals, side effects and possibly having to try more than one. 

Today I start. It will be a challenging next 8-10 weeks. I have been focusing on being a mental health advocate for others but it is so important to remember that means we must advocate for ourselves first. So I am choosing to not be as active as an advocate for others this month. 

Part of mental health awareness should be self focused. We need to take accountability for our own needs and not assume others will do it for us. When we truly work to stabilize ourselves we can then advocate for others and the cause of ending the stigmas associated with mental health and suicide even more. 

Another way of self advocacy which is a great lesson I have learned is how very important it is to share your story. It has opened up so many opportunities to connect with others who struggle and it has brought awareness to people who had no idea I struggle. It has helped start conversations amongst people I have met or know from social media that also did not know they had family or friends that struggle. Today I choose to stay and continue my story. I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment