http://themighty.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/200x.png

Friday, July 31, 2015

Best Buddies

I am going to be a Best Buddy.  I signed up and now I am just waiting for the interviews, background check, and matching processes to proceed and I will be a Buddy!

"Best Buddies" is an organization that matches one-on-one friendships for people with intellectual and/ or developmental disabilities to a "buddy" who does not.  To be a Best Buddy, you need to spend time with the person twice a month and make contact with them once a week for at least a year.

I will be a Best Buddy to someone with Down Syndrome.  Why did I choose for my buddy to have Down Syndrome?  Because people with DS are angels on earth to me.  

After my aunt had a bad encounter with a person with DS when I was very young, I was afraid of those with DS.  But, that didn't last long, and I figured out that people with DS are the most kind-hearted people on the planet.

For a long time, I wanted to adopt a child with Down Syndrome.  I didn't want to have a "typical" child.  I wanted to specifically parent a child with DS because I always see all the good things that people with DS can do and what awesome people they are.  When I met my wife, I was still struggling with Bipolar and Anxiety, and even though I'm doing much better today, we have decided to just parent our dogs instead.  But, the thought still lingers.  

One reason why I love people with DS is because I love their features. Male or female, they are absolutely the most beautiful people to me.  They have the most generous and accepting souls I've ever known.  

I know that people with DS have the same emotions, feelings, and moods as the rest of us, but there's really just a wonderfulness about them that makes me want to be around them.

I don't really have any friends, other than on Facebook and through a computer screen, and I've always longed to have a friend with DS. So, I'm going to be a Best Buddy.

I'm very excited to be a part of this person's life and have them be a part of mine.  It is something that I've always wanted and now it's going to happen.  And I'm thrilled!


No comments:

Post a Comment