http://themighty.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/200x.png

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Dear Bipolar, BPD and Anxiety...

(This is my letter to my illnesses, as posted on The Mighty.)

Dear mental illnesses,

You almost took my life.  Several times.  I wanted to leave this world because of you, Depression.   You, Bipolar Disorder, made me feel like crap because you caused my moods to shift so violently that I would be happy and on top of the world in the morning and suicidal by night.

You made me feel like I couldn't handle you, because your control would cause me to believe that I was a piece of trash, unworthy of love and happiness.  I believed you for a long time- too long.

Borderline Personality Disorder, you were such a horrible nemesis that, for so long, I didn't even want to admit that I had you.  I hated you and what you made me feel and do.  You created so much anger in me and I couldn't deal with it until a couple of years ago. You made me feel worthless, fearful, hopeless, dangerous and suicidal. I was out of control and loud and I did not want to listen to anyone or try to do well.  I couldn't. You warped my whole identity and made me feel like less of a person.  I never thought I could overcome you because I never admitted I had you, until a few years ago.

Anxiety, you told me that I would never be happy with another woman.  You would wake me up in a panic nearly every morning with thoughts of wanting to kill myself because of who I am.  You screamed at me that God would never love me if I loved my soul mate.  I couldn't eat.  I felt nauseous and sick because of you overwhelming my thoughts and body with your lies.  You had such a grip on me that I was sick to the very core of my being simply for being me.

But when I met her, my whole life changed.  She loves me like no one else ever has or ever could.  Thanks to her love, and the help of the people I let into my life, I am no longer just surviving, I am thriving.

You all still linger and I will always have to keep you at bay and remember to take care of myself, but I am handling all of you far better than I ever thought possible.  I have learned that love truly does conquer all.  I have learned that you will not defeat me.  You will no longer tell me that I am unworthy or hopeless.

I know now that I can have hope.  I DO have hope.  I am living well with all of you! I am happy and healthy now and I do not wish you well. I will do whatever I need to do to make sure you are out of my life for good.  I will win!

Sincerely not yours,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment