http://themighty.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/200x.png

Monday, June 27, 2016

Blog Series Guest Post: Parenting a Child With a Mental Illness

Author: Cate Luther

Bio: I'm Cate, a former classroom teacher who taught for over 20 years. Now I'm a stay-at-home-mom, blogger and educational advocate. Check out my blog at : Raising a Drama Queen. I also have a Facebook page called: Raising a Drama Queen: Adventures with Autism and Bipolar Disorder.

As I previously wrote about on this blog, I grew up with two parents who had mental illnesses. My father’s affected him most of my life. My mom’s lie dormant until I was an adult and on my own.

Before my husband and I considered having a child of our own, we wanted to educate ourselves about the possibility of having a child with a mental illness. I attended a NAMI Family-to-Family 12 week class to learn how best to support my severely mentally ill mother and to learn what the percentages were of me passing this on to any future children I might have. I was encouraged to learn that it wasn’t that great. (Keep in mind this was over ten years ago. Recent statistics place this at close to 10%.)

Armed with this knowledge, my husband and I decided to spin the roulette wheel. We desired a child who was not only physically healthy, but also mentally healthy.  Once I became pregnant with our daughter, we saw a genetic counselor. He took copious notes while we told him about all of the various health challenges that run in our families: cancer, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, strokes and heart attacks. The odds were not stacked in our child’s favor. Knowing this, we  continued to move forward. The ultrasound I was given to detect if there were any birth defects, showed there were none. Since I was almost 40, my doctor also recommended that I have an amniocentesis performed to see if my baby had Downs Syndrome. After reading up on this and learning that sometimes it can result in a miscarriage, I opted out of this test.

When our daughter was born a few months later, we were happy that she appeared normal and healthy. This was especially significant since my husband had had two bouts with cancer before she was conceived. He was concerned that radiation that he had received six months prior may have affected her. I remember him holding her up and saying, “Ten little fingers and ten little toes, she’s perfect.”

The first few years after our little cherub was born, were hectic, but we thought we were just like everyone else. We just had a child who was a little more spirited and defiant. During her Kindergarten year, she was given the diagnosis of ADHD after a few less than pleasant incidents at school. That same summer we had a clinical psychologist perform a complete mental health evaluation on her. One sentence in the summary of his report still echoes in my mind. It read, “…but the possibility of bipolar disorder cannot be ruled out.”
I was in shock when I read those words. As a classroom teacher, I  could handle a child with ADHD. I could even handle one with Oppositional Defiant Disorder. The bipolar diagnosis, on the other hand, had me searching for answers. One of the first things I did was go to the bookstore to learn more. I picked up “ Bipolar Disorder for Dummies” by Fink and Kraynak. I found one chapter about bipolar disorder in children.  In this book I found another sentence that would change my life, “For more information go to Child and Adolescent Bipolar Foundation. At …” (It is now The Balanced Mind Parent Network, http://community.dbsalliance.org/welcome.htm)

On this site I found parents like me trying to make sense of our child’s intense mood swings as well as parents who had been in the trenches for a while.  They were my lifeline for many years. I am now one of the ones giving back to this wonderful organization.

Additionally, my husband and I sought out professionals who would help us with our precious child. We found a gifted and compassionate marriage and family therapist who was a bevy of resources.  She had a wealth of knowledge about how to parent a challenging child. My daughter liked her and saw her on her own for several years until she moved her practice out of the area. Within six months of our daughter’s initial diagnosis, we were also blessed to find a wonderful psychiatrist after two others didn’t work out. The further along my daughter went in her educational career, the more we realized that she would need more help than the average child. Our therapist recommended an educational advocate to us. Over the years we have had three fabulous advocates who helped us navigate 504 and IEP meetings. I am convinced that my daughter would not be at the fantastic therapeutic day school she has been at since fourth grade, were it not for the guidance that my husband and I received from these talented advocates.

My daughter finally received the official bipolar diagnosis at age seven. She was hospitalized five times before the age of ten. My husband and I have survived it all. We learned that one of us needed to be available and to provide structure for her. A little of four years ago I ended up resigning from over 20 years of teaching so I could provide that support. We learned not to fill our child’s schedule so that she has very little down time.  Yes, it’s hard, however, it is not impossible.

It took me a few years to stop saying, “Why me? I already had my turn with living with individuals with a mental illness.” A friend taught me, the teacher, that I was the perfect mom for my precious daughter. Since I’d had experience with mental health, I know what to look for to get my daughter the help that she needs. I’m blessed to have been chosen to raise this child.

The road we are traveling on has many bumps and turns. It is often like riding a roller coaster.  Even so, I’m confident that my husband and I will figure out the next part in our journey as parents to a child with mental health challenges. We have a whole team of professionals cheering us on.


No comments:

Post a Comment